Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Museum Jobs

So part one is all about having museum experience, which until this exhibit I haven't had any.  I haven't searched for a job in the marked or volunteered quite yet.  I would love the opportunity but with my schedule it is difficult to try and add more on.  I have been told to volunteer in the lab this summer and through next year which I'm greatly considering.  On Burcaw's list I suppose that volunteer position would be through personal acquaintance since Dr. Fisher asked me to do it because I had him for Fieldwork in Archaeology last semester. 

Four Corners School of Outdoor Education seeks an Exhibits Developer/Coordinator to build exhibits for its new campus, the Canyon Country Discovery Center. Exhibits will be housed on a 48-acre campus in a 22,000 square foot building, containing a 4,000 square-foot, interactive science museum. Exhibits/ Learning Activity Stations will be based on a unifying theme of place-based education about the Colorado Plateau in 5 content areas. Candidates should have some professional experience in design practice, exhibit development, and building exhibits. Museum experience preferred, in trans-active exhibits, and expertise with wood and metal tools. Full-time, year-round salaried position with benefits, based in Monticello, Utah. Email jross@fourcornersschool.org for a hiring packet or download from www.fourcornersschool.org/about-fcs/employment

(western museums association)

While this is not a job I would want permanently I do think it would be greatly enjoyable.  I used to regularly go to something that sounds like what they are trying to do when I was a kid and I loved it.  I also think that some of my knowledge that I have gained already could be applied.
  • Ability to mount images and text
  • Some construction skills 
  • Prior experience (ours) in fabricating and installing a museum exhibit

1 comment: